Palomar from Teepee to Telescope
Catherine M. Wood. Peter Brueggeman, editor. 2nd revised edition. San Diego, Calif. : www.peterbrueggeman.com, 2008
Original version: San Diego, Calif. : Frye & Smith, 1937
Palomar Mountain : Past and Present
Marion F. Beckler. Peter Brueggeman, editor. 2nd revised edition. San Diego, Calif. : www.peterbrueggeman.com, 2008
Original version: Palm Desert, Calif. : Desert Magazine, 1958
Palomar Mountain Views
Volume 1 (1982) includes Edward H. Davis' history of Palomar Mountain
Volume 2 (1983) includes Elsie R.H. Robert's historical memories;
LeRoy Bonham's 1921 Boy Scout trek to Palomar;
Mildred Koenig's memories of Skyline Lodge (now known as Palomar Mountain Lodge at the end of Crestline)
Available for purchase at the Palomar Mountain Store
Robert Asher. Peter Brueggeman, editor. 2nd edition. San Diego, Calif. : www.peterbrueggeman.com, 2008
Original Version: Robert Asher, unpublished manuscript, undated.
The Culture of the Luiseno Indians
Philip Stedman Sparkman. Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, 1908
University of California publications in American archaeology and ethnology volume 8, number 4
This book has considerable information about Native Americans on Palomar.
Each band of the Luiseno Indians between Pala and San Jose Valley (Warner's Ranch) had a tract
on Palomar Mountain, to which it moved during the acorn gathering season.
Leo Douglass Remembers... Palomar Mountain
Excerpt from a 1979 memoir of Leo Douglass; 2006 interview of Herbert Douglass by Peter Brueggeman
memories of the Smith and Douglass Hotel located at Silvercrest in State Park
Field-work among the Mission Indians of California
J. P. Harrington. Explorations and Field-Work of the Smithsonian Institution in 1932. Washington DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1933. pp. 85-88
last Native American teepee on Palomar
State Building Highway Link to Site of 200-inch Telescope on Palomar Peak
E. E. Wallace. California Highway and Public Works, April 1936. pp. 2-5
includes map of planned route, and photos of current state of road and contractors' camp
History of Palomar Mountain As Remembered by Hank and Florance Saddler
The First Permanent or Year-Round Park Employees on Palomar Mountain State Park. July 1, 1940 to January 15, 1943; December 1, 1945 to April 24, 1948
Palomar Mountain Hotel
twelve page five fold brochure, 16 x 52 cm. Undated.
older than above brochure; an inflation calculator puts it around 1913
(cost comparision of single room/board per day between the two brochures)
now known as Bailey's Palomar Resort
Palomar Mountain, Camp Site & Club House
eight page three fold brochure, 16 x 35 cm. Undated. Wood's book dates the Camp Sites development as starting in 1920; Beckler dates it from 1921-1923
now known as the Crestline / Birch Hill area.
LAND PATENTS are deeds from the U.S.government conveying title, and recorded by the government.
The U.S. Public Land Survey System divides land into 24-mile tracts that are
subdivided into 16 townships that are 6 miles by 6 miles, or 36 square miles.
Each township is divided into 36 one-square-mile sections. Each section is 640 acres, and then sections would be halved and quartered, etc.
For example, a Robert Asher land patent dated January 16, 1911, specified Township 9 South, Range 1 East, Section 31.
Some patentees bought their land for cash, others homesteaded a claim, and others came into ownership via a donation act
passed by Congress.
Key to Palomar Mountain land patents: a 1903 map overlaid with Township, Range, Section numbering